Monday, May 21, 2012

Rob Nosbush's 20% Project

My 20% project evolved from using Study Island as an at home resource to help with understanding to having me as an at home resource to help with understanding by flipping my classroom.  As mentioned in my earlier posts, flipping was a subject which had intrigued me since last spring when I first encountered it at the Minnesota Council of Teachers of Mathematics (MCTM) conference.  The 20% project allotted time to expose a larger part of the ice berg.  I took part in a webinar, 4 of the 7 sessions at the MCTM conference being technology related, becoming an active Twitter follower, exploring the use of Study Island, and adding to my collection of websites for student use.  This 20% time became my exploration time while the time on the projects became the time where I actually did the production.  Products of this exploration can be seen part of my unit.  Other products of the 20% time which did not eventually turn into parts of the project can be found here.

I grew in the area of NETS*T-2 as I incorporated Youtube.  YouTube went from my home use in finding funny videos, music and videos about big trucks to a way to disseminate information to my students.  I learned the SMART board recording tool to make these videos.  I worked many sessions with one of the technology support members to post these videos and trouble shoot problems with student access.  I also found videos like Reverse, to incorporate at the beginning of my class.

NETS*T-3 also saw growth as I worked to obtain support for the flipped classroom method.  I attended several sessions at this year's MCTM conference at the beginning of May.  According to Jones, Feller and Daniels in their presentation entitled, ""Stillwater's Flipped Math Classroom Pilot," they stated that assessments are showing scores equal to the control group.  The difference is appearing in the amount of material that was able to be covered in the same period of time.  I also gained confidence when I heard a presentation from a group of Byron, MN High school teachers called "Improving Student Learning Through Hybrid Courses." The presenters saw growth when comparing identical assessment results over a two year period.

NETS*T-5 saw me grow through Twitter use.  Twitter went from a medium of which I was totally uncomfortable using to one where I looked forward to checking activity regularly.  I connected with teachers who were similar to me in subject, age level and where they were on the journey to flipping.  I also connected with teachers who were farther along on their journey, as well as, some I would consider masters.  I even saw my number of followers grow(and no, not just my mom!)


No comments:

Post a Comment