Saturday, May 19, 2012

Katie Gohl's 20% project


“It never made sense before.” Robert said.

His words hit me like a ton of bricks. They don’t tell you in college that your students are going to show you how to teach. As Robert was working on his response on our class blog I asked him why he had never shown me he could write like that before and his response, “It never made sense before” was eye opening. He went on to tell me that when he wrote with a pencil and paper it wasn’t like his “real life” but when he was able to type his response and share it with his classmates it suddenly made sense to him. 

That day changed how I will teach forever. My students have shown me through the use of technology that they want to learn by being social, active, and reflective. 

I love the ownership and engagement technology allows my students.  For me it now validates how I know students learn. My students have made me an advocate for technology and 21st century learning.  My hope is that with these 20% projects(and many more projects to come) that I will be able to help so many more students like Robert “make sense” of their learning.

1. For my first project I created a website to organize all of my 21st century learning projects & resources.  I would like this site to be resource beyond my classroom.


2. For my second project I worked with my primetime students. For their PT service project my PT students decided they wanted to do something on a smaller scale.  After much debate they decided they wanted to do something to help the 5th graders with their transition to the middle school. They did a shared Google Presentation to brainstorm all of the ideas. Once they were done they decided to make a video for them. Our thoughts were to share it with 5th grade teachers and they could show it at the end of the year if they want to.


3. For my third project I decided that I wanted to do a video project with my classes while this is all fresh in my mind.  It was a group project for all of my classes.  They have to write their own scripts & record themselves. Once they were done I used YouTube video editor to put it all together.   


No comments:

Post a Comment